“To ground is to pour our energies back into the earth and feel the warm calm nature entering your body in exchange.”
In a noisy busy world, it is easy to get a bit lost and overwhelmed – lost in your thoughts or emotions or caught up in a big decision or situation. In these moments we need to find a way back to the present moment – and the process of grounding is a simple yet very powerful way to bring ourselves back to the reality and safety of the present. Reiki Practitioners and other energy workers use grounding techniques to end an energy session, as leaving ourselves plugged into higher spiritual energy vibrations can leave us open and more sensitive to picking up on the negative emotions and energies around us. If you learn Reiki you will be taught about the importance of grounding to emotional healing.
More and more these grounding techniques are being used to help relieve stress and anxiety, and as a tool to quickly bring you back to the here and now to calm the mind and our emotions. But what is grounding and how can it help?
What is Grounding or Earthing?
Grounding or ‘being grounded’ is about centring yourself back in the reality of your physical body in time and space. It’s about bringing your awareness back to the here and now – to the present moment by focusing on what is physically happening to your body. In this present moment all we have to do is be. In the present moment we don’t have to worry about the past or the future, only the now. And when we focus on the physical senses we can pull ourselves out of our busy minds and thought patterns into the more tangible physical world.
Grounding exercises bring the focus back to the present but also focus on literally reconnecting ourselves with the ground or Earth – to the floor beneath our feet – our connection to the stabilising energies of Mother Earth. This process of Earthing involves direct skin contact with the surface of the earth, which is brimming with natural energy and free electrons. When we consciously walk and connect with the ground we receive a beautiful little energy boost, complements of Mother Earth.
What are the benefits of Grounding?
Don’t you love the feeling of walking through the park barefoot on a sunny day, or putting your feet in the sand the moment you get to the beach? We are all
Grounding has many powerful and stabilising benefits including lowering stress, reducing jet lag, normalising blood flow, and improving mood and sleep. ‘Being grounded’ is also thought to naturally relive inflammation in the body.
How to Ground Yourself
There are many simple ways we can re-connect ourselves with the Earth. Here are 7 easy ways you can anchor yourself back down to Earth.
- Kick off your shoes and walk barefoot
- Take a shower
- Listen to nature sounds
- Drink water
- Hold a grounding crystal – we’ve included a few popular grounding stones below!
- Work through a guided grounding meditation – we’ve added a quick meditation below too!
- Focus in on the five physical senses:
- Sight (think of things you can see in the room around you?)
- Smell (what aromas can you smell in the moment?)
- Listening (what can you hear around you?)
- Taste (think of one thing you can taste)
- Feel ( feel the textures around you, on your skin, below you feet)
Crystals for Grounding and Stability
“It is only by grounding our awareness in the living sensation of our bodies that ‘I Am,’ our real presence can awaken.’ G.I. Gurdjieff
There are many crystals or gemstones with grounding properties – holding a grounding crystal or wearing a piece of jewellery with a powerful stabilising stone is one way you can stay grounded. Grounding crystals include: Black Tourmaline, Bloodstone, Hematite, Jade, Jasper, Jet, Obsidian, Onyx, Pyrite and Agate.
A Easy Grounding meditation
“Get yourself grounded and you can navigate even the stormiest roads in peace.” Steve Goodier
Below is a simple guided meditation for grounding that we use in our Reiki sessions to ground ourselves. To boost the mediation you may want to hold one of the grounding crystals we mentioned above!
- Close your eyes and relax – find a comfortable space to sit with yourself for 5-10 minutes without being disturbed. Keep your spine straight like the trunk of a tree. But let your shoulders relax and your let the weight of your body plant you into the ground below.
- Take a few deep breaths, focusing in on the natural rhythm of your breathing. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. Return your breathing to its normal rhythm and let your whole body relax. stay focused on your breathing as you let the thoughts and issues of the day float away.
- When your mind has cleared, repeat the following affirmations to yourself: I am alive. I am present. I am safe.
- Bring your attention back to your body. At the point where your spine connect with the ground, imagine now roots expanding from your body into the ground below. With every breath you feel more connected to the earth below you. You are safe, you are home you are alive.
- Visualise the red energy of the earth moving upward from the ground into the base of your spine, nourishing your body with life and energy.
- Imagine this red light swirling expanding now to fill your whole body with calming, loving, healing, positive energy. Meditate on this feeling of wholeness, safety and comfort.
- When you feel rooted and safe, begin to focus once more back to your breathing. Become more aware of your body and the sounds around you as you come back from your meditative state.
- When you feel ready, gently open your eyes and affirm once more: I am alive. I am present. I am safe.
- Grab yourself a drink of water to finish the grounding meditation.