It’s Mental Health Awareness Week and we’d like to discuss something that affects so many of us – anxiety. Anxiety is commonly described as a feeling of worry, fear or unease. We are often asked can you use Reiki for anxiety? Of course! One of the main benefits of Reiki is feelings of deep relaxation and inner peace. We hear time and time again that Reiki helps people to feel more calm and relaxed, so looking to Reiki to help with anxiety is a perfectly natural fit. Most of us are likely to experience some degree of anxiety in our lives, and whilst it is perfectly normal, it’s also natural to want to help alleviate the symptoms of your anxiety. Common symptoms of generalised anxiety include:
- Feeling restless
- Feeling worried
- Heart palpitations
- Trouble concentrating
- Trouble sleeping
Studies into the effect of Reiki on anxietyThere have been scientific studies conducted on the effects of Reiki on anxiety. These include:
- A study into the effects of Reiki on pain, anxiety and fatigue on cancer patients in Turkey between 2013-2014. One group of patients received 30 minutes of distant Reiki at night for five nights and the other group received no Reiki. The group that received Reiki reported less stress, pain and fatigue than the other group.
- A study was carried out into the effects of Reiki on 118 cancer patients that were receiving chemotherapy. Each session lasted 30 minutes and each patient received at least one treatment. Pain and anxiety levels in each patient were rated on a numerical scale. The average anxiety score for all patients decreased from 4.4 to 2.32. A subgroup of 22 patients that received four treatments experienced an average drop in anxiety score from 6.77 to 2.26.
- A 2006 study on the effect of Reiki on pain and anxiety in women that were undergoing hysterectomies. They concluded that the group of women that received three 30 minute Reiki sessions reported less anxiety, pain and asked for fewer analgesic drugs than the control group that did not receive Reiki.
Using Reiki for anxietyReiki can be used to help relax the body and mind. You can either visit a Reiki Master for a Reiki session or you can perform a self-treatment. We find that self-treatment can be particularly useful when looking to reduce feelings of stress, anxiety or worry. When performing a self-treatment for anxiety we would follow one of the below methods. We would recommend that you test each and find the one that you find works for you.
- Find somewhere comfortable and quiet and start a self-treatment. Place your hands over your chest and allow Reiki energy to flow into your chest and Heart Chakra. This method is particularly useful if you carry nervous energy or anxiety in your chest.
- Find somewhere comfortable and quiet and take some time to become aware of your body, starting from your toes all the way up to the top of your head. Allow each part of your body to relax but become aware of the places where you feel tense or anxious. For example, you might feel a nervous sickness in your stomach or you may feel like your heart is racing. Now start a self-treatment and when you feel the flow of Reiki energy start you can place your hands where you located your anxious feelings.
- Find somewhere comfortable and quiet and start a self-treatment. When you feel the Reiki energy start to flow you can begin to provide balancing Reiki energy to each of your chakras, working downwards from your Crown Chakra till you reach your Root Chakra. Spend as much time at each chakra as you feel you need, some may need more time than others.